Clean Up Your Clients’ Coverage Needs for National Kidney Month
Spring cleaning season is upon us, a fitting time to raise awareness of kidney health. March is National Kidney Month, and the National Kidney Foundation is using the month to encourage Americans to visit their healthcare professionals for a checkup. As an agent, you have the opportunity to talk to your clients about this health observance as well as the importance of having the coverage they need to meet their kidney health concerns.
Let’s take a look at why the kidneys are so imperative to our health1:
- They filter waste out of 200 liters of blood each day
- They regulate of the body’s salt, potassium and acid content
- They remove drugs from the body
- They balance the body’s fluids
- They release hormones that regulate blood pressure
- They produce an active form of vitamin D that promotes strong, healthy bones
- They control the production of red blood cells
As you work with clients this month to identify their ideal coverage, take this opportunity to remind them about these startling statistics1:
- Kidney disease is the 9th leading cause of death in the country
- More than 30 million Americans have kidney disease, and most don’t know it
- There are over 95,000 people waiting for kidney transplants
- More than 590,000 people have kidney failure in the US today
So what can your clients do to protect the health of their kidneys? Consider these recommendations:
- Eat a whole food, plant-based diet2. Your clients can learn about meals focusing on veggies, fruits, whole grains, lentils, etc and more plant-based options here, here, and here.
- Eat meals that include plant protein, as research shows they reduce mortality in chronic kidney disease3.
- Know what healthy kidneys do and how to recognize symptoms of chronic kidney disease4. Your clients can click here to take an online assessment to rate their risk.
- Maintain a healthy weight, stay active, and monitor their blood sugar level5.
- Stop smoking6. Your clients can click here for tips to help them stop.
Talk to your clients about their available coverage options today and how that coverage may help them protect their kidney health. With many options that include guaranteed acceptance, low cost preventative care and office visits, freedom to choose healthcare professionals, and low deductibles and copays, short-term medical coverage may fit their needs, especially if they are:
- Transitioning between jobs
- Waiting for employer insurance to begin
- Graduating from college
- Rolling off parents’ coverage
- Waiting for Medicare coverage to become effective
Note: Short-term medical coverage may be an appropriate fit for your clients. However, it’s important for you and your clients to understand that such coverage does not replace major medical insurance, and it is does not count as minimum essential coverage required by the Affordable Care Act. Limitations, restrictions, and exclusions may apply.
Learn more how short-term medical coverage can provide an avenue to healthcare by:
- Calling 1.877.376.5831 and selecting option 3
- Emailing email@example.com
Click here to like us on Facebook for important industry updates, tips, and articles!
1: “Focus on the Kidneys During National Kidney Month in March.” National Kidney Foundation. https://www.kidney.org/news/monthly/Focus_KidneyMonth
2: “Can a Whole Food, Plant-Based Diet Help to Preserve Kidney Health?” T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies. https://nutritionstudies.org/can-whole-food-plant-based-diet-help-preserve-kidney-health/
3: “Plant Protein Reduces Mortality in Chronic Kidney Disease Patients.” National Kidney Foundation. https://www.kidney.org/news/plant-protein-reduces-mortality-chronic-kidney-disease-patients
4: “Six-Step Guide to Protecting Kidney Health.” National Kidney Foundation. https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/sixstepshealthprimer
5: “8 Golden Rules: What Can You Do for Your Kidneys?” World Kidney Day. http://www.worldkidneyday.org/faqs/take-care-of-your-kidneys/8-golden-rules/
6: “What Effects Does Smoking Have on the Kidneys?” LiveStrong.com. https://www.livestrong.com/article/266870-what-effects-does-smoking-have-on-the-kidneys/
Health Insurance Innovations, Inc. is a leading developer and administrator of affordable, web-based individual health insurance plans and ancillary products. We help consumers address their health insurance needs by offering access to a number of products offered by various insurance carriers.
For agent use only – not for use with the public