For National Immunization Awareness Month, Make Sure Your Clients Have Access to Preventive Care
August is National Immunization Awareness Month (NIAM), an annual initiative sponsored by the National Public Health Information Council (NPHIC) to encourage people of all ages to make sure they are up to date on vaccinations recommended for them. Vaccinations can serve as a preventive step to help your clients protect their health as well as the health of their communities.
Remember that vaccines are important for all of us. Here’s why:
- The same germs that caused diseases such as whooping cough, measles, and polio still exist today, but vaccines now protect children against these diseases
- Immunization of children helps the overall community by protecting those who are too young or are medically unable to be vaccinated
- Adults are at risk for different diseases than children, and it is important to keep up with vaccinations, as they can wear off over time
Offer immunization care to your clients
Offer your clients coverage that includes preventive and wellness benefits. Plans that encourage yearly wellness exams promote a convenient time for members to get vaccines. ACA plans are required to include vaccines among covered preventive services. You may be able to offer the following plans to also assist your clients.
- Short-term medical: STM plans provide benefits similar to major medical for a limited period of time. They’re typically used during times of transition, such as graduating from college, waiting for employer insurance to begin, or waiting for Medicare coverage to begin. The plans can provide members with a choice of provider and facility, a range of deductibles, co-pays, and cost sharing options to fit your client’s budget needs. These plans are useful for members who have a gap in coverage and can be used to take advantage of preventive services such as vaccination. Note: they do not typically cover pre-existing conditions.
- Health benefit insurance: HBI plans (otherwise known as limited medical benefit plans) can be useful for clients who are looking to supplement their major medical coverage or those who are not able to afford major medical insurance. These plans provide pre-determined cash benefits based on a covered service. They may also provide little to no waiting periods, which may be useful for a loved one who is need of benefits sooner rather than later. They are not comprehensive medical plans and are not intended to replace a major medical plan.
Note: STM and HBI plans do not count as minimum essential coverage required by the Affordable Care Act and are not suitable to serve as sole medical coverage. They are not sufficient forms of coverage to avoid facing a tax penalty. Review any terms, conditions, limitations, and/or restrictions carefully prior to any purchasing decision.
Set your clients up for healthcare success
Many plans have additional features that can assist your clients in other areas of their healthcare needs.
These benefits can include:
- Prescription savings program that help them save on generic and brand-name medications.
- Ability to speak to a licensed doctor over the phone or mobile app to diagnose common illnesses
- Patient advocacy service that can help your client find procedures for the lowest cost and negotiate large bills
Learn more about helping your clients with their vaccination and preventive care needs by:
- Calling 1.877.376.5831 and selecting option 3
- Emailing email@example.com
Click here to like us on Facebook for important industry updates, tips, and articles!
Health Insurance Innovations, Inc. is a leading developer and administrator of affordable, web-based individual health insurance plans and ancillary products. We help consumers address their health insurance needs by offering access to a number of products offered by various insurance carriers.
For agent use only – not for use with the general public
“Vaccines & Immunizations” https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/howvpd.htm.
“Vaccine Safety: The Facts” https://www.healthychildren.org/English/safety-prevention/immunizations/Pages/Vaccine-Safety-The-Facts.aspx.